Ads 468x60px

Friday, August 26, 2011

Who needs art?

I recently moved into a new two-bedroom apartment and am still figuring out where to hang pictures and what to do with the windows, etc.

The two bedrooms are not the same size; one is obviously the "master bedroom."  Not only is it a bigger room, but has a nice walk-in closet. Naturally, one would assume that the larger room is where I put my bed and then use the smaller room as an office or den.

That would be an incorrect assumption. My queen size bed fits very cozy in the smaller room while my computer desk, sewing machine table and healthy fabric stash fits very nicely in the larger room.

I haven't hung any pictures in the room, but the walls are not bear. 

Generally at any one time, I have about three or four block-of-the-month projects going on. Why hide those beautiful blocks away when they can be used for decorating purposes.

These are five blocks from a BOM called Migration (lots of flying geese) that I'm doing through the quilt shop, Quilt Cove (Eagan, MN). It is a 20-month project. Yep, you read that correctly - twenty months! It's about 1/2 way done, so if you're good at math, you'll figure out that I'm already five months behind.

The fabrics are batiks, but the colors make up a wide range of values. Greens, blues, purples, pinks, browns, oranges, etc. Can't wait to see it finished.

These blocks are from the 2011 Calico Hutch (Hayward, MN) BOM. Only 12 months and the calendar follows the normal January through December schedule.

The exclusive Calico Hutch quilt pattern is called "Front and Center" by designer Mike Ellingsen. Each block features a red focus fabric in the center.

This one is a bit of a stretch for me because it uses very traditional colors with the Moda Fabric, Kansas Troubles.  The pattern can be finished as queen size quilt (and set on point with log cabin squares) or as a lap quilt with star sashing. Not sure which one I'll choose.
And finally, in the corner by the window, you'll find my basket quilt blocks. I'm hanging five of the blocks, but I'm thrilled to say that all the blocks are completed and I'm getting ready to cut out the finishing kit.

This is another BOM from Quilt Cove from batiks. (You should see my batik scrap stash from all my batik BOMs!) Each month you would make a 10" block and two 5" blocks. Four 5" blocks will be combined to make a 10" block and then pieced together.

As you can see, I don't wait until the quilt is done to use it to decorate my home. And my visitors can see what I'm working on.

Do you use your blocks to decorate your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment